To reduce late sequelae, the duration and intensity of chemotherapy has been progressively reduced.
The Lymphome Malins de Burkitt (LMB) 89 study reported long-term survival in almost all children with localized resected disease treated with two courses of COPAD (cyclophosphamide, vincristine, prednisolone and doxorubicin). This study was designed to confirm the effectiveness of this approach in a larger number of patients in a multinational co-operative study.
The patient cohort was part of an international study (French-American-British LMB 96), which included all disease stages and involved three national groups.
Patients in this part of the study had resected stage I or completely resected abdominal stage II disease.
Following surgery, two courses of COPAD were given, without intrathecal (IT) chemotherapy.
One hundred and thirty-two children were evaluable.
Two of 264 (0.9%) courses were associated with grade IV toxicity (one stomatitis and one infection). With a median follow up of 50.5 months, the 4 year event-free survival is 98.3% and overall survival is 99.2%. Children with resected localized B-NHL can be cured with minimal toxicity following two courses of low intensity treatment without IT chemotherapy.